Tuesday, July 10, 2007

OPEN TO GOD...........

When I was growing up, I learned from going to church & from my grandmother, that if I didn't believe, or behave, I was going to hell. As I got older, I started really misbehaving, I started drinking to the point of black out, when I was 12. Later on I remember consciousley chanllenging those beliefs, & God. Oh yea, well I'll do THIS, & we'll see what happens. If I'm going to hell, I might as well really earn it. God, to me was punishing, judgemental, angry, & scary. I ran from Him/Her. All the things that happened to me as a child, & in my drinking/drugging career, was either a punishment, or God had left me, I wasn't sure which. Besides, God was light years away, unobtainable, & certainly didn't want anything to do with me. I was a sinner, after all.

When I first came into AA, I didn't want to have anything to do with God. I was one of those violent anti-religious people. I still am anit-religious, but not anti God. The first time I thot of God in any kind of personal way was when I went back on my drinking/drugging career, & realized a Higher Power had been watching over me, & was with me, & I've heard this from so many others. There's just no other explanation. Hard as I tried to come up with something else, it didn't fit. Then I started seeing God working in my life today, thru people, nature, right timing, energy. So, that put me in the present. Now, I am just starting to get the God in me, mostly in fleeting, flashes. The sense of peace I get, the feeling of being 'home'. One time, I thot to myself, this is Sharon, my name is Sharon, & I was present. The BB helped me in these discoveries, too. Where it says willingness opens the door, self will closes it. That seemed to say to me, it was up to me. Also where it says there either IS a God, or there ISN'T a God. The choice was mine. I had a choice. I didn't have a choice when I was growing up, it wasn't put to me in that manner. I was forced to believe or I would go to hell. Pretty scary stuff. What I did was, create my own hell, based on what I bellieved. Today, I have to keep it simple, as in the BB, & take from my own experiences, how is it that I'm alive, & well? I know I am truly a miracle today, that's awesome! We all are. That should make us think a little better of ourselves. God has a purpose for us, He/She wants us here, I am a useful human being today. I am starting to have a personal relationshiip with God, today. But to have that, I have to work at it, thru the steps, you people, there are signs everywhete, if my heart & mind are open to love. You all have a good one, & Keep on Keepin' on.

7 Comments:

At 10:22 PM , Blogger lushgurl said...

What a great post Sharon! I was not raised religiously, but my cousins were, and they told me all the time that I would go to Hell for various reasons.
When I first got to AA, I believed in God, but was kind of turned off by all of the "God" talk. I'm happy to say I stuck around long enough to find my own HP, and yes, He IS God!
Love ya gurl friend!

 
At 6:30 AM , Blogger ArahMan7 said...

Thanks for sharing, Sharon. I hope you've found what you're looking for.

Take good care of yourself.

 
At 6:28 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

I was like that too! I was anti-religious and not so much now. I came to beleive through witnessing, God in my life and others.. and I still love it. But I remember when I first started feeling it - I am glad you posted this.
thats right gurl - gotta keep on keepin on

 
At 5:53 AM , Blogger Pammie said...

good post today darlin'!
I believe God has a purpose for us also, and I don't think we necessarily get to know what that is. If we stay sober and present though...he'll find something for us to do ;)

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

Hey gurl, poppin in to say hi... HI : )

 
At 8:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post.
Given my history I could go on and on with this topic. Maybe you can just look back in my blog for some of what I am referring to.
Peace and I hope you are well,
Scout

 
At 8:45 AM , Blogger Meg Moran said...

I lobed this post. So honest and insightful. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home