Thursday, February 01, 2007

MY FRIEND, RANDY.........

I just got back from a friend's house who is dying from alcoholism, a group of us go to his house every thursday evening for a gathering. We go to give him support, & love, & because we want to. They are nice gatherings, sometimes just a few people, sometimes alot. He prefers gatherings over meetings. We can visit with him & others. It's nice, really nice. He really appreciates it, I am honored that I am one of the people he's asked out to his place.

This is a man who drank & drugged, but mostly drank for 42 yrs. He came into AA, I think 2 yrs. ago, & is still sober, he wants to be sober when he dies. The doctors have told him there is nothing more they can do for him, to start getting his affairs in order. He is doing that. It hit him today that he really is dying, & was rather emotional. Last week, he could get out of his chair by himself, this week, he needed help.

I love this man. He shoots from the hip. You can believe what he says. He has a wonderful sense of humor....still. He doesn't pull any punches, but he is very kind. He has a big heart. If he likes you he lets you know, if he doesn't like you he lets you
know.
.
I love that in a person, you don't have to do any guess work, there' no mixed messages, or crazy making. You don't have to pick up the slack. He is going to be missed by many people, whom he regards as family, his new AA friends. When he talks about what he was like when he drank, I can hardly believe it. He is such a sweetheart now. A little rough around the edges, but a sweetheart just the same. I don't wish to think about him being gone, I can't handle that right now. I tell him, & I will do also, to take one day at a time, live just for today. He truly is doing that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home