Thursday, November 22, 2007

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM AA......

I'm at my sister's for a couple of weeks, for Thanksgiving,& to help her with some things, it's a good vacation for me,as well. I will tell you some of the things I've learned from AA. That is, that I have a fatal disease that can be arrested if I follow certain suggestions, & it is a daily reprieve. I have learned from the ones before me it is divinely inspired, starting with one alcoholic helping another alcoholic. I have learned to like myself more, & that has been thru working with others, by that I have learned patience, tolerance, compassion,& the feeling of love for another human being. I look a little deeper now, where is the person coming from, they have been thru hell too. That we all have a common peril, & bond. I've learned their is a power greater than myself. I learned that we are sick, trying to get well, not bad, trying to get good. There is God in all of us. I have learned to look for for solutions, & that my attitude, my perception, can make or break my day. I will continue this later, right now, I'm going to finish making Thanksgiving dinner. This I've learned, I have to apply, some days I do, some I don't. It's a wholle lot better to live, I have choices today. You all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Some of these things I've learned, & am still learning,all I'm learning, & it's progress, not perfection. I am still learning the live & let live, the let go & let God. I have learned we are each other's teachers, & students. I have learned that alcohol/drugs are a symtom, that my thinking is the problem,& thru action I can change my thinking. I'm learning accountability, & responsibility, am still working on that one. I am learning to live one day at a time, I haven't got that down yet, but am getting better at being in the day. I've become more open minded. Mind you, I'm not perfect at all this, but I have, & my friends, & sister have noticed progress. My world has gotten bigger. I too,have learned the hard way people will fall off their pedestals. I don't hate myself on a daily basis anymore, either, nor am I as angry.

I've had my dinner, & am full. It's getting towaard the end of the day, I think my sister, & her paratner in front of the fireplace, what a nice way to end a wonderful day. I truly am grateful for this day, oh yea, that's another thing I learned, is to be grateful, & am learning forgiveness, but not how to forgive myself yet, maybe that will come. Since I can't, I ask God to.

5 Comments:

At 3:53 AM , Blogger Syd said...

I like your list of things that you've learned. To be grateful is a wonderful gift of recovery.

 
At 1:29 AM , Blogger Shadow said...

enjoy your visit with your sister! it's good to get away from the routine sometimes, isn't it...

 
At 2:43 AM , Blogger Bill said...

Hi! I saw your comment on Pam's blog, and I'm just dropping by to say hello and that I'm glad you've been able to spend time with your sister. We've knocked one of the major holidays down and we're still intact, aren't we? Have fun and be well!

 
At 7:18 AM , Blogger Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

Hey girl! Thanks for the post. I wish my sister were more interested in family, but there you are--all I can do is keep cheerfully letting her know I'd love to be closer.

About my new blog location...I've let them know about the trouble you had leaving a comment, and they're working out the bugs. In the mean-time, if you'd like to chat about your sister, please e-mail me at mwoodroof@gmail.com.
I'd be very glad to hear from you.
Cheers, Martha

 
At 5:11 AM , Blogger Michael said...

Hi Sharron that was a great read, its great is AA the longer you are a member the more you realise it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home